Top 100 Manufacturers of 2014: $500 Million to $1 Billion

 
 
 

Fortune Brands Home & Security

Product lines: Fiberglass and steel entry doors and patio doors; vinyl windows and patio doors; synthetic trim and millwork components
Brands: Therma-Tru Doors, Simonton Windows, Fypon
Headquarters: Deerfield, Ill.
Manufacturing locations: Simonton Windows—Vacaville, Calif.; Paris, Ill.; Pennsboro, St. Mary’s, and Parkersburg, W.Va.; and Columbus, Ohio. Therma-Tru Doors—Butler and Howe, Ind.; and Maumee and Edgerton, Ohio

 
Therma-Tru Fiber-Classic fiberglass entry door 

Employees: 2,550
Websites:
www.fbhs.com, www.simonton.com, www.thermatru.com, www.fypon.com
General information:
Fortune Brands Home & Security is the parent company of Simonton Windows and Therma-Tru Doors, as well as Moen, Masterlock and several cabinet brands. After purchasing Fypon in 2006, Fortune merged its operations with Therma-Tru in 2009. The companies making up Fortune Brands Home & Security had estimated total sales of about $4.2 billion in 2013, with the window and door business unit reporting sales of approximately $657 million for the same year.

Ply Gem

 

Product lines: Vinyl, wood, wood-composite, aluminum, aluminum-clad and vinyl-clad windows and patio doors.
Brands: Ply Gem Windows, Great Lakes Window and PlyGem Canada
Headquarters: Cary, N.C.
Manufacturing locations: Ply Gem operates window plants in Walbridge, Ohio; Rocky Mount, Va.; Bryan, Texas; Peachtree City, Ga.; Corona and Sacramento, Calif.; Auburn, Wash.; and Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Employees: 6,000
Websites: www.plygem.com, www.plygemwindows.com, www.greatlakeswindow.com, www.plygem.ca
Recent acquisitions: In 2013, Ply Gem purchased Gienow Window & Doors, Canadian producer of vinyl, clad-wood, and metal-clad vinyl windows and doors, from fellow Top 100 Manufacturer VKR Holding.
New product introductions: Ply Gem Windows expanded its 1500 Vinyl Collection for 2014 with new exterior colors. Originally launched in 2013, the product line includes a consolidation of Ply Gem’s multiple vinyl window options into one platform, with a common sash and common sizing. Ply Gem has also expanded design and installation features within its vinyl replacement and remodel product lines – Premium and Pro Replacement Series – with the introduction of new exterior color options, as well as a new rigid welded nail fin.
General information: The manufacturer of residential exterior building products operates two main business units, with siding, fencing and stone accounting for about 60 percent of Ply Gem’s sales, and windows and doors the other 40 percent. The company sells its products through short-line and two-step distributors, pro dealers, home improvement dealers and big box retailers. The company went public in April 2013, offering its common stock on the NYSE under the ticker PGEM.

The Marvin Cos.*

 
 
 

Product lines: Wood, clad-wood and fiberglass windows and doors
Brands: Marvin Windows & Doors, Integrity Windows & Doors, and Infinity Replacement Windows
Headquarters: Warroad, Minn.
Manufacturing locations: Marvin—Warroad, Minn.; Baker City, Ore.; Ripley, Tenn.; Grafton, N.D. Integrity— Fargo, N.D.; Roanoke, Va.; West Fargo, N.D. Infinity —West Fargo, N.D.
Employees: 4,000
Websites: www.marvin.com, www.integritywindows.com, www.infinitywindows.com
New product introductions: In 2013, Marvin released its line of wood windows made in the U.S.A. with domestic and imported hardware that meet strict European and U.S. standards for passive building. The company also launched the Marvin Finishes app. The app lets builders and homeowners “build” and preview products with any of its wood species and finish options applied.
General information: More than 100 years old, Marvin has more than a dozen third- and fourthgeneration Marvin family members who are actively involved in the management of the company. In 2013, Marvin released its line of wood windows made in the U.S.A. with domestic and imported hardware that meet strict European and U.S. standards for passive building.

Return to full Top 100 list.