CMI Awarded $1.35 Million Green Energy Grant

January 5, 2010
Companies

Pennsylvania’s Green Energy Works! Program has awarded CMI more than $1.3 million to install a back-pressure steam turbine at its door, trim and panel manufacturing facility in Towanda, Pa. The new system will use existing excess steam to generate up to 1,000 kilowatts of electricity.

“Receiving this grant provides us with a great opportunity to further improve overall cost efficiencies at
the plant, which helps maintain competitive pricing for our customers,” says Matt Ameigh, CMI mill
manager. “More importantly, converting existing steam into clean electric power is another way for us to demonstrate our strong commitment to environmentally friendly manufacturing.”

Based on the estimated operating schedule at the mill, CMI expects the new system to produce between 3,556,000 and 8,097,000 KWh per year, which will offset a portion of the plant’s current electrical consumption.

Awarded to the company by the state of Pennsylvania, the grant  is funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and will cover about 75 percent of the project's costs, with CMI investing the remaining 25 percent.  CMI’s steam turbine project is one of nine new large-scale combined
heat and power projects being supported by the state, reports Governor Ed Rendell. Together, it is estimated these projects will create enough energy to power 180,000 homes for one year and slash carbon dioxide emissions equal to 180,000 passenger vehicles, while creating jobs and stabilizing power distribution networks, the governor states.