Video on Lead Dust Poisoning in the Home Created by Simonton

December 16, 2011

Simonton Windows has developed a new Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting video to educate homeowners on the dangers of homes built prior to 1978 with lead-based paint. The one-minute video has been posted on YouTube to make homeowners more aware and encourage them to review their homes for lead paint issues.

“An estimated 30 million homes in the United States today still contain lead-based paint, which can be extremely harmful, especially to children,” says Gary Pember, Simonton vice president of marketing. “The friction created by opening and closing windows and doors coated in lead-based paint can generate lead dust, which contaminates the household. This harmful dust can be inhaled and inadvertently spread to other areas of the home.”

According to Rick Nevin, a consultant to the National Center for Healthy Housing, the worst news is that young children, who crawl on floors and have hand-to-mouth contact, are especially susceptible to the harmful effects of lead poisoning. “Research indicates that the everyday activity of opening and closing windows creates friction that then allows invisible lead dust to enter the air,” says Nevin.

“Young children, who crawl on the floor where the lead dust has settled, can be especially at risk,” according to Nevin. “Toddlers put their hands in their mouths ... and after playing on the floor near a window, they can easily transfer the lead dust into their mouths. The ingested lead travels through the bloodstream to a child’s developing brain, causing many types of neurobehavioral damage.”

 Simonton also offers free materials and more information on lead safe issues at its website.